PhD (History), assistant professor of social and humanities of National University of Physical Education and Sport of Ukraine.
STUDYING UKRAINIAN HISTORY IN THE UNIVERSITY OF
Abstract. The process of teaching Ukrainian history at the University of St. Volodymyr during the nineteenth and first half of the twentieth century. The methodological basis of the publication was the historical and dialectical methods of research.
It was found that during the 19h century at the University of St. Volodymyr's Ukrainian history was taught in the context of Russian history. And only at the beginning of the 20th century the teaching staff and students made an attempt to organize the work of the Department of History of Ukraine, which proved to be unsuccessful.
It was established that in the Nykolay era only Russian history was taught, based on the imperial ideals of the existence of a single Russian people, whose ethnic minorities were Ukrainians and Belarusians. Teaching was conducted at a low professional level. The situation changed dramatically with the advent of V. Antonovich's Department of Russian History, who not only studied Ukrainian history independently, but also offered her to explore her students. So, in the second half of the nineteenth century future well-known Ukrainian historians M. Dashkevich, P. Golubovsky, V. Danilevich, M. Hrushevsky written a series of works devoted to the history of some ancient Russian principalities. These students received gold medal awards for their studies. Their hypotheses have not lost their relevance in our time.
Under the guidance of V. Ikonnikov, Kyiv students began to actively explore certain historical monuments from the Ukrainian past. At the beginning of the 20th century teachers V. Danilevich and P. Golubovsky developed separate courses on the history of Ukraine.
Іt is proved that in the student's works (abstracts, coursework, semicircular) the Russian history is mainly covered. Ukrainian issues are limited to the Old Russian period. Most of these works are of a compilative nature and written in the context of Russian historiography. Only after the revolutionary events of 1917 the former students of the University of St. Volodymyr, well-known domestic scientists will focus on studying the problems of Ukrainian history, putting forward new hypotheses and recognizing Ukrainians as separate peoples.
Key words: Ukrainian history, student works, abstracts, medal works.
Received by the editorial board: 3.04.2019
1. Avseenko, V. G. (1852–1863). Shkolnie godi: Otrivki iz vospominanii [School years: Extracts from memories]. Retrieved from ftp: http://homlib.com/read/avseenko-vg/shkolnye-gody-avseenko-v-g/32739 [in Russian].
2. Bagalіi, D. (1928). Naris іstorії Ukraїni na socіalno_ekonomіchnomu ґruntі. Іstorіografіchnii vstup і doba naturalnogo gospodarstva [Essay on the history of Ukraine on the socio-economic ground. Historiographical introduction and the era of natural economy] (Vols. 1). Kiev [in Ukrainian].
3. Bazilevich, V. M. (1914). Iz istorii moskovsko_krimskih otnoshenii v XVII veke. Yubileinii sbornik istoriko-etnograficheskogo krujka pri Universitete Sv. Vladimira [From the history of the Moscow-Crimean relations in the XVII century. Jubilee collection of historical and ethnographic circle at the University of St. Vladimir]. Kiev [in Russian].
4. Volk-Karachaevskii, V. (1899) Borba Polshi s kazachestvom vo vtoroi polovine XVII i nachale XVIIІ veka [Poland's struggle against the Cossacks in the second half of the 17th and early 18th century]. Universitetskie izvestiya – University news, 2, 133–211[in Russian].
5. DAK [State Archive of Kiev], 16, 290, 101 [in Russian].
6. DAK [State Archive of Kiev], 16, 465, 956 [in Russian].
7. DAK [State Archive of Kiev], 16, 465, 1036 [in Russian].
8. DAK [State Archive of Kiev], 16, 465, 1278 [in Russian].
9. DAK [State Archive of Kiev], 16, 471, 55 [in Russian].
10. DAK [State Archive of Kiev], 16, 471, 186 [in Russian].
11. DAK [State Archive of Kiev], 16, 472, 29 [in Russian].
12. DAK [State Archive of Kiev], 16, 472, 91 [in Russian].
13. Galushka, A., Girich, І. & Gliz, І. (2016). U kіgtyah dvoglavih orlіv. Tvorennya modernoї nacії. Ukraїna pіd skіpetrami Romanovih і Gabsburgіv [In the claws of two-headed eagles. Creation of a modern nation. Ukraine under the scepter of the Romanovs and the Habsburgs]. Kiev [in Ukrainian].
14. Golovko, O. B. (2001). Knyaz Roman Mstislavovich ta iogo doba [Prince Roman Mstislavovich and his age]. Kiev [in Ukrainian].
15. Grushevskii, M. (1891). Istoriya Kievskoi zemli ot smerti Yaroslava do konca HIV stoletiya. Opit izsledovaniya [The history of Kiev land from the death of Yaroslav to the end of the fourteenth century. Experience from research]. Universitetskie izvestiya – University news, 6, 143–224 [in Russian].
16. D. D. (1907). Prof. P. Golubovskii. Posmertna zgadka [Prof. P. Golubovsky. Posthumous mention]. Kievskaya starina – Kiev old, 4, 74–76 [in Russian].
17. Danilevich, V. V. (1997). V. Antonovich, kak professor [V. Antonovich as a professor]. Sin Ukraїni. Volodimir Bonіfatіiovich Antonovich – Son of Ukraine. Volodymyr Bonifatiyovych Antonovich (Vols. 1-3). Kiev [in Ukrainian].
18. Dashkevich, N. (1873). Knyajenie Daniila Galickogo po russkim i inostrannim izvestiyam [The reign of Daniil Galitsky on Russian and foreign news]. Universitetskie izvestiya – University news, 6, 1–2, 9, 25 – 80, 10, 81–156 [in Russian].
19. Beskrovnii, L. G., Kuchkin, V. A. & Pashuto, K. T. (1975). Drevnerusskie knyajestva Х – ХІІІ [Old Russian principalities Х - ХІІІ]. Moscow [in Russian].
20. Zavadskii-Krasnopolskii, A. (1866). Vliyanie greko-vizantiiskoi kulturi na razvitie civilizacii v Evrope [Influence of the Greek-Byzantine culture on the development of civilization in Europe]. Universitetskie izvestiya – University news, 6, 1–32, 7, 1–2, 9, 1–28, 10, 1–33, 11, 1–24 [in Russian].
21. A note on the state of the University of St. Vladimir read at the solemn act of January 9, 1879(1879) Universitetskie izvestiya – University news, 1, 1–24 [in Russian].
22. Ikonnikov, V. S. (1884). Biograficheskii slovar professorov i prepodavatelei Imperatorskogo universiteta sv. Vladimira [Biographical Dictionary of Professors and Teachers of the Imperial University of St. Vladimir]. Kiev [in Russian].
23. ІR NBUV [Institute of Manuscripts Vernadsky National Library], 1, 1155 [in Russian].
24. ІR NBUV [Institute of Manuscripts Vernadsky National Library], 46, 5 [in Russian].
25. Kostomarov, N. I. (1890). Literaturnoe nasledie [Literary heritage]. St. Petersburg [in Russian].
26. Kostomarov, M. І. (1990) Avtobіografіya [Autobiography] (Vols. 1–2). Kiev [in Russian].
27. Kotlyar, N. F. (2002). Danilo Galickii. Bіografіchnii naris [Danilo Galitsky. Biographical essay]. Kiev [in Ukrainian].
28. Lashnyukov, I. V. (1873). Vladimir Monomah i ego vremya [Vladimir Monomakh and his time]. Universitetskie izvestiya – University news, 11, 1–44 [in Russian].
29. Liman, S. І. (2013) Z іstorії «kadrovogo konflіktu» u kiїvskіi unіversitetskіi medієvіsticі pershoї polovini 1860-h rr.: O. І. Stavrovskii proti V. G. Avsєєnka [From the history of «personnel conflict» in the Kiev university medievistry of the first half of the 1860's: O. I. Stavrovskii against V. G. Avseyenko]. Naukovі pracі Kam'yanec-Podіlskogo nacіonalnogo unіversitetu іmenі Іvana Ogієnka. Іstorichnі nauki – Scientific works of the Kamyanets-Podilsky National University named after Ivan Ogienko. Historical sciences, 23, 144–160 [in Ukrainian].
30. Linnichenko, I. (1883). Sochinenie P. Golubovskogo i D. Bagaleya. Kriticheskaya ocenka [The writing of P. Golubovsky and D. Bagaley. Critical Assessment]. St. Petersburg [in Russian].
31. Mihalchenko, S. I. (1997). Kievskaya shkola v rossiiskoi istoriografii (V. B. Antonovic, M. V. Dovnar-Zapolskii i ih ucheniki) [Kiev school in Russian historiography (V. B. Antonovich, M. V. Dovnar-Zapolsky and their students)]. Moscow [in Russian].
32. Molchanovskii, N. (1883–1885). Ocherk izvestii o Podolskoi zemle do 1434 g. [Essay on the news of the Podolsk land before 1434] Universitetskie izvestiya – University news, 5, 1–48, 6, 48–80, 7, 81–128, 8, 129–144, 10, 129–184, 4, 233–248, 2, 185–216, 3, 217–232, 3, 249–280,4, 281–336, 5, 337–392 [in Russian].
33. Romanovskii, V. A. (1914). Hozyaistva monastirskih krestyan Lyubeckoi sotni v 1767 g. [The economy of the monastic peasants of the Liubetskaya hundred in 1767] Yubileinii sbornik istoriko_etnograficheskogo krujka pri Universitete Sv. Vladimira – Jubilee collection of historical and ethnographic circle at the University of St. Vladimir. Kiev [in Russian].
34. Tarasenko, O.O. (2010). Z іstorії stanovlennya ta rozvitku іstorichnoї osvіti v Kiїvskomu іmperatorskomu unіversitetі sv. Volodimira (do 175 rіchchya vіd dnya zasnuvannya) [From the history of the formation and development of historical education at the Kiev Imperial University of St. Volodymyr (up to 175th anniversary from the day of foundation)] Іstorichna dumka - Historical thought, 1(2), 59 [in Ukrainian].
35. Tarasenko, O. O. (2016). Spogadi pro profesora Pavlova (shkola іstorikіv Unіversitetu sv. Volodimira) [Reminiscences of Professor Pavlova (School of Historians of the University of St. Vladimir)] Naukovі pracі іstorichnogo fakultetu Zaporіzkogo nacіonalnogo unіversitetu – Scientific works of the Historical Faculty of Zaporizhzhya National University, 45, 80 – 85 [in Ukrainian].
36. Telvak, V. (2002). Mihailo Grushevskii u Kiїvskomu unіversitetі [Mikhail Hrushevsky at the University of Kyiv] Ukraїnskii іstorik – Ukrainian historian, 1–4, 186–209 [in Ukrainian].
37. Teptyuk, L. M. & Hudolei, O. S. (2016) Do 175-rіchchya vіd dnya narodjennya vіdomogo іstorika Volodimira Stepanovicha Іkonnikova [To the 175th anniversary of the birth of the famous historian Volodymyr Stepanovich Ikonnikov] Molodii vchenii - Young scientist, 7(34), 212 – 215 [in Ukrainian].
38. Ulyanovskii, V. (2002). Sprava kafedri іstorії Ukraїni v Unіversitetі sv. Volodimira: Dovnar-Zapolskii і Grushevskii [The case of the Department of History of Ukraine at the University of St. Volodymyr: Dovnar-Zapolsky and Hrushevsky]. Retrieved from ftp: http://gsu.by/pages/Dounar-Zapolski/%D0%97%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BD%D1%96%D0%BA3.ht [in Ukrainian].
39. CDІAK [Central State Historical Archive of Kyiv], 1235, 1, 108 [in Russian].
40. Scherbina, V. (1994). Vospominanie o V. B. Antonoviche. [Recollection of V. B. Antonovich]. Z іmenem Svyatogo Volodiimra: Kiїvskii unіversitetu dokumentah, materіalah ta spogadah suchasnikіv - With the name of St. Volodymyr: Kiev University documents, materials and memoirs of contemporaries, 1 [in Ukrainian].
41. Ernst, N. L. (1914). Pervie nabegi krimskih tatar na Ukrainu [he first raids of the Crimean Tatars on Ukraine] Sbornik statei Studencheskogo Istoriko-etnograficheskogo krujka pri Universitete sv. Vladimira - Collection of articles of the Student Historical and Ethnographic Circle at the University of St. Vladimir, 3 [in Russian].