PhD in History, associate professor, Ukrainian Studies, Culturology and History of Science department, National technical University «Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute».
DEVELOPMENT OF TECHNICAL EDUCATION IN THE CITY OF KHARKOV: THE CONTRIBUTION OF
VIKENTII KHOMYCH GERBURT-GEIBOVYCH
Abstract. The work of the leading scientist in the field of mechanics – Vikentii Khomych Gerburt-Geibovych is analyzed. He became one of those who, after the successful graduation from the Kharkiv Practical Technological Institute, stayed in this educational establishment as a teacher. In addition, his further activities contributed to the establishment of higher technical education in Ukraine.
It should be noted that for a long time the name of this scientist was out of the attention of historians of science and technology. Therefore, taking into account the scientific work by V. Gerburt-Geibovych, as well as the using of archival materials, it is worthwhile the outlining of the results of the scientific activity of this scientist.
Information about the future scientist's family is provided. In particular, it is stated that he was from a noble family. The talented graduate of KhPTI was invited to work at this educational institution. It is shown what subjects the scientist taught. Heredity in teaching the course of flour-mill production from the teacher – Professor K. Zworykin to the student – V. Gerburt-Geibovych was traced. The information about the probation of a scientist at the enterprises of Russian Empire is considered.
V. Gerburt-Geibovych᾽s formation as a scientist is shown. For example in 1902 the scientist withProfessor G. O. Latyshev, on behalf of the Kharkiv Agricultural Society, became one of the organizersof ploughs testing at Yankivsky Estate of the merchant P.I. Kharitonenko. In order to maintain an appropriate level of knowledge and exchange of information in 1909, the scientist visited the IX congress of flour mills and the 1st All-Russian flour-grinding exhibition held in St. Petersburg in the so-called «salt city». In 1911, the scientist was in a scientific trip in Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and Holland, where he inspected the several mills, elevators and factories that produced machines for mills.
The activity of the scientist in the development of a new course of lectures – wood technology is analyzed. His research not only in the field of mechanics but also in botany is shown.
The expert work of the scientist, including in the equipping of the salt-making plant and in the designing of mills, is shown. The activity of the scientist at the posts of the deputy chairman of the Student technical society and the chairman of the Committee for the needy students of KhTI are considered. Every month Academic Committee received a request from the students for material assistance. Funds for such payments were provided by citizens from all over the Russian Empire who arranged special evenings, performances for the students of the KhTI, some of them left the wills, where the estates departing in favor of students. The scientist had to consider applications, manage the distribution of funds and made reports. On the pages of «Proceedings of South Russian Association of Technologists» the reports about received funds were published: sponsors were indicated by name and the amount of donations
The information about cooperation of V.Gerburt-Geibovych with the Southern Russian Society of Technologists, the editorial office of the «Melnyk» magazine and the edition "People's Encyclopedia" was provided. In particular, in 1910, he published his articles «About the article A.M. Erlanger»,«Effect on the quality of the flour of forced work of roller machines and prepacking», «About the needing of thorough separation of small impurities before the grain delivering to cockler». Next year, in the magazine «Melnyk», he published his article «About cooklers and methods of grain cleaning».
It was shown that the scientist was one of the founders of women's polytechnic education in Ukraine. The presence of five daughters in the family became a significant incentive for Vikentii Khomych to open the Women's Polytechnic Institute in Kharkiv. The first years of functioning of this newly created institution are considered. It is alleged that wife of a scientist and one of the daughters graduated from the Women's Polytechnic Institute. In addition, in June 1919 Vikentii Khomych elected the vice-rector of the Kharkov Technological Institute. Emphasis is made on significant stress in the work, which led to a weakening of the scientist's health. Thanks to interviewing of relatives of the scientist, the year of his death was ascertained.
Despite a rather short life course, only 48 years old, the scientist has left a distinctive mark in the history of the Kharkiv Technological Institute, which he graduated from. The memory of prominent ancestor remains among his descendants.
Keywords: Vikentii Khomych Gerburt-Geibovych, Kharkiv Practical Technological Institute, Women's Polytechnic Institute, flour-mill production, wood industry, People's Encyclopedia.
Received by the editorial board: 28.02.2019
1. Polnoe sobranie zakonov Rossiyskoy imperii. Sobranie 1881-1913: Tom 5(1885). [Complete collection of laws of the Russian Empire. Collection 1881-1913: Vol. 5 (1885)]. St. Petersburg, 1887. pp. 156-163 [in Russian].
2. Polnoe sobranie zakonov Rossiyskoy imperii. Sobranie 1881-1913: Tom 18(1898). [Complete collection of laws of the Russian Empire. Collection 1881-1913: Volume 18 (1898)]. St. Petersburg, 1901. pp. 525-532 [in Russian].
3. Derzhavnyi arkhiv Kharkivskoi oblasti [State archive of Kharkiv region (SAKhR)], F. 1682, op. 2, spr. 65. Viktenti Fomich Gerburt-Geibovych, 217 ark. [in Russian].
4. SAKhR, F. 770, op. 1, spr. 277, 80 ark. [in Russian].
5. Sklyar V.M. Dosvid orhanizatsii navchalnoho protsesu ta yoho kadrovoho zabezpechennia v kharkivskomu Tekhnolohichnomu instytuti naprykintsi KhIKh – na pochatku KhKh st. [Experience of the organization of the educational process and its staffing at the Kharkov Technological Institute in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries] // Bulletin of the NTU «KhPI», 2014. 59 (1101). pp. 136-144 [in Ukrainian].
6. Polnoe sobranie zakonov Rossiyskoy imperii. Sobranie 1881-1913: Tom 18(1898) [Complete collection of laws of the Russian Empire. Collection 1881-1913: Volume 18 (1898)]. - St. Petersburg, 1901. pp. 332 [in Russian].
7. Gutnyk M.V. Profesor Kostiantyn Oleksiiovych Zvorykin – odyn iz fundatoriv nauky z tekhnolohii materialiv [Professor Konstantin Oleksiy Zvorykin is one of the founders of technology in materials science]. Scientific works of Zaporizhzhya National University Historical Department, 2018. No. 51. p. 374-378. - doi: 10.26661 /swfh-2018-51-053 [in Ukrainian].
8. Gutnyk M.V. Stvorennia u Kharkivskomu praktychnomu tekhnolohichnomu instytuti pershoi v Ukraini kafedry silskohospodarskoho mashynobuduvannia [Establishment of the first agricultural machine-building department in Kharkiv practical technological institute. Materials of the XI All-Ukrainian Conference of Young Scientists and Specialists «History of Education, Science and Technology in Ukraine» (Kyiv, May 16, 2016)]. National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Academy of Agricultural Sciences of Ukraine; [and others]. Vinnitsa: LLC «Nilan-LTD», 2016. pp. 84-85 [in Ukrainian].
9. Otchet ob ispytanii plugov, proizvedennom Khar'kovskim obshchestvom sel'skogo khozyaystva, sovmestno so stantsiey dlya ispytaniya sel'skokhozyaystvennykh mashin i orudiy Khar'kovskogo tekhnologicheskogo Instituta Imperatora Aleksandra III v Yankovskom imenii P. I. Kharitonenko v 1902 godu [Tekst] [Report on the testing of ploughs made by the Kharkov Society of Agriculture together with the station for testing agricultural machines and implements of the Kharkov Technological Institute after the name of Emperor Alexander III at the Jankovsky estate of P. I. Kharitonenko in 1902 [Text]: scientific publication. Kharkiv Society adricul. and agricul. industry; ed.: V.F. Gerburt-Geibovich, G. A. Latyshev. Kharkiv, M. Zilberberg and Sons, 1903. 48 p. [in Russian].
10. Pilishk I. Osobnyak Kharitonenko: gotika s vidom na kreml' [Charitonenko᾽s Mansion: Gothic with the View of the Kremlin]. Moscow and Muscovites, 2008, No. 5-6. Available at: http://www.m-mos.ru/2008/03/02.htm [in Russian].
11. SAKhR, F. 770, op.1, spr.484, Zvit pro stan instytutu za 1903 r. [Report on State of the Institute in 1903], 131 ark. [in Ukrainian].
12. SAKhR, F. 770, op.1, spr.465, Zhurnal navchalnoho komitetu za 1903 r. [Book of the Academic Committee for 1903], 111 ark. [in Ukrainian].
13. Gerburth-Geybovich, Vikentii Khomych. Tekhnologiya dereva [Tekst] : lektsii, chit. stud. Khar'k. tekhnolog. in-ta imp. Aleksandra III / ad.-prof. V. O. Gerburt-Geybovichem [Wood technology [Text]: lectures, taught to stud. of Kharkiv Technological Institute named after imp. Alexander III.Ad.-Prof. V. Kh. Gerburth-Geybovich]. Kharkiv: Lit. Ivanchenko, 1904. 256 p. [in Russian].
14. SAKhR, F. 770, op.1, spr. 499, Zhurnal navchalnoho komitetu za 1904 r [Book of the Academic Committee for 1904], 161 ark. [in Ukrainian].
15. SAKhR, F.770, op.1, spr. 552, Rezoliutsiia studentiv-tekhnolohiv vid 13-14.09.1906 r [Resolution of students-technologists from 13-14.09.1906], 21 ark.
16. SAKhR, F.770, op.1, spr.676, Zvit pro stan instytutu za 1910 r [Report on State of the Institute in 1910], 132 ark. [in Ukrainian].
17. Pervoe rozhdenie soyuza mukomolov [The first birth of the union of flour mills]. Available at: http://www.sojuzmuka.ru/contents.asp?id=9&p=1 [in Russian].
18. SAKhR, F.770, op.1, spr.695, Zvit pro stan instytutu za 1911 r [Report on State of the Institute in 1911], 142 ark. [in Ukrainian].
19. SAKhR, F.770, op.1, spr.728, Klopotannia pro asyhnuvannia kredytu [Application for a loan], 42 ark. [in Ukrainian].
20. Hager Willi. Hydraulicians in Europe 1800-2000. Zurich: ETH-Zurich, 2012. Vol. 2. 1725 [in English].
21. Zakrytye turbiny na gorizontal'nom valu po Pffarr'y : per. s nem. / pod red. V.F. Gerburt-Geybovicha [Closed turbines on a horizontal shaft by Pffarr'y: translation from German / ed. by V.F. Gerburt-Geibovich]. Kharkov: Typografy by Zilberberg and Sons, 1909, 32 p. [in Russian].
22. SAKhR, F.770, op.1, spr.353, Pro vlashtuvannia vystav y vechoriv na koryst malozabezpechenykh studentiv [About the arrangement of performances and evenings in benefit of the poor students], 11 ark. [in Ukrainian].
23. SAKhR, F.770, op.1, spr.388, Pro zatverdzhennia stypendii imeni A. Faidysh [Institution of A. Faidysh᾽s scholarship], 11 ark. [in Ukrainian].
24. SAKhR, F.770, Op.1, sp.389, Pro vlashtuvannia vystav ta vechoriv na koryst nezamozhnykh studentiv [About the arrangement of performances and evenings in benefit of the poor students], 23 ark. [in Ukrainian].
25. SAKhR, F.770, op.1, spr.422, Pro vlashtuvannia vystav ta vechoriv na koryst nezamozhnykh studentiv [About the arrangement of performances and evenings in benefit of the poor students], 38 ark. [in Ukrainian].
26. Pervyy vypusk inzhenerov Khar'kovskogo tekhnologicheskogo instituta [The first graduate of engineers of Kharkiv Technological Institute]. Polytechnic, 2010. No. 10-11, April, 19 [in Russian].
27. Narodnaya entsiklopediya nauchnykh i prikladnykh znaniy: [v 14 tomakh, v 21 polutome] / Khar'kov. o-vo rasprostraneniya v narode gramotnosti. - Moskva: [b. i.], 1910-1912. T. 3 : Tekhnicheskiy / [sost. prof. G. F. Burakov, prof. V. F. Gerburt-Geybovich, Gutovskiy i dr.]. [National Encyclopedia of Scientific and Applied Knowledge: [in 14 volumes, 21 half-volumes] / Kharkiv society the spread of awareness among the people]. Moscow: [without publisher], 1910-1912. Vol. 3: Technical / [comp. by prof. G. F. Burakov, prof. V.F. Gerburt-Geibovich, N.V.Gutovsky and others], 1912 (Typography of I. D. Sytin). XXIV, 386 p. [in Russian].
28. Khar'kovskie gubernskie vedomosti [Kharkiv provincial gazette]. No. 1107. October 11, 1912 [in Russian].
29. SAKhR, F.772, op.1, spr.1, 15 ark. [in Ukrainian].
30. Kamchatny, V.G. Naukovo-osvitnii dorobok profesora I. P. Osypova (1855-1918 rr.) v haluzi khimii [Scientific and educational achievements of Professor I. P. Osipov (1855-1918) in the field of chemistry]. Kharkiv: Golden Pages, 2018, 232 p. [in Ukrainian].
31. Zhurilo, D.Yu. Stanovlenie i razvitie Khar'kovskogo tekhnologicheskogo instituta v kontse KhІKh – nachale KhKh vekov [Formation and development of the Kharkiv Technological Institute in the end of XIX – at the beginning of XX centuries]. Kharkiv: NTU "KhPI", 2016, 264 p. [in Russian].
32. SAKhR, F.772, op.1, spr.296, 11 ark. [in Ukrainian].
33. SAKhR, F.772, op.1, spr.297, 4 ark. [in Ukrainian].
34. Fedosova, I. V. Rozvytok vyshchoi inzhenerno-tekhnichnoi osvity v Ukraini (kinets KhIKh – persha polovyna KhKh st.): monohrafiia [Development of higher engineering-technical education in Ukraine (end of the XIX – first half of the XX century): monograph]. Uman: IE Zhovtyy O., 2014. 397 p. [in Ukrainian].
35. SAKhR, F.R-1682, op. 1, spr. 20, 214 ark. [in Ukrainian].