Doctor of Historical Science, Professor, department of etnology and local history, faculty of history of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv.
«I HAVE ALREADY BECOME A CONSCIOUS UKRAINIAN FOREVER»
(DMYTRO BAGALIY – THE OUTSTANDING UKRAINIAN HISTORIAN AND PUBLIC ACTIVIST)
Abstract. The article reveals the most important milestones of the life and activity of the famous Ukrainian historian and public figure D. Bagaliy. It is emphasized on his contribution to the Ukrainian national revival. The scientific heritage of D. Bahaliy is analyzed. It includes about 350 works, in particular, monographs, archaeological publications, scientific articles on the history of Ukraine, historiography, archival studies, sources of sources, etc. It was emphasized, that the center of his attention was the history of Slobidska Ukraine, its socio-economic and cultural development, the heritage of H. Skovoroda, the history of Kharkiv and Kharkiv University. D. Bahaliy is the founder and leader of the scientific school of researchers of Slobozhanschyna and Left-Bank Ukraine in Kharkiv. The active social activity of the scientist as a representative of the liberal scientific intelligentsia was determined.
There is haracterized the fundamental work of D. Bahaliy «The History of Slobidska Ukraine»(1918).
It is about geography, ethnography, socio-economic and political life, spiritual and material culture of Slobozhanschyna, etc.
There is considered the main thesis of D. Bahaliy about the unceasing civilization development from simple to more complex forms, the leading role of the masses in history. Documentalism is an important part of the scientific works of D. Bahaliy.
It is highlighted the contribution of the scientist to the development of Ukrainian regional studies. His scientific contributions are presented in this context.
Key words: D. Bahaliy, historian, public figure, Slobidska Ukraine, Left-Bank Ukraine, Kharkiv, Kharkiv University.
Received by the editorial board: 16.04.2019
1. Bahalii D. I. (1993). Istoriia Slobidskoi Ukrainy [History of Sloboda Ukraine]. Kharkiv, Delta, 266 [in Ukrainian].
2. Dzherela ta istoriohrafiia ukrainskoi istorii (1992). Istoriia Ukrainy: Konspekty lektsii [History of Ukraine: Compendiums of lections] / B. I. Bilyk, I. S. Grytsenko, Y. S. Kalakura and other. Kyiv, MNK BO, 15-32 [in Ukrainian].
3. Doroshenko D. I. (1991). Narys istorii Ukrainy [Essay of the history of Ukraine]. Lviv, Svit, 328 [in Ukrainian].
4. Doroshenko D. (1996). Ohliad ukrainskoi istoriohrafii [Review of Ukrainian historiography]. Kyiv, Ukrainian studies, 188 [in Ukrainian].
5. Kotsur A. P., Kotsur V. P. (1996). Istoriohrafiia istorii Ukrainy: Kurs lektsii [Historiography of the history of Ukraine: Course of lection]. Kyiv, Kreshchatyk, 214 [in Ukrainian].
6. Kravchenko V. V. (1990). Bagaliy D. I.: Nauchnayai obshchestvenno-politicheskaya deyatel'nost' [Bagaliy D. I.: Scientific and social-politic activity]. Kharkiv, Osnova, 176 [in Russian].
7. Kravchenko V. V. (1993). «Slavnykh pradidiv velykykh...» [In honor of great great-grandfathers…”]. Bahalii D. I. Istoriia Slobidskoi Ukrainy. [Bagaliy D. I. History of Sloboda Ukraine]. Kharkiv, Delta, 6-12 [in Ukrainian].
8. Ohloblin O. (1993). Bahalii D. I. [Bagaliy D. I.]. Entsyklopediia ukrainoznavstva [Encyclopedia of Ukrainian studies]. Lviv, NTSh, 80 [in Ukrainian].
9. Polonska-Vasylenko N. (1992). Istoriia Ukrainy [History of Ukraine]: in 2 Vol. Kyiv, Lybid, Vol. 1. Chap. «Essays of historiography of Ukraine», 13-39 [in Ukrainian].
10. Rybalka I. K. (1995). Istoriia Ukrainy [History of Ukraine]: in 2 Vol. Kharkiv, Osnova, Vol. 1, 445 [in Ukrainian].
11. Sarbei V. H., Kravchenko V. V. (1982). Akademik AN URSR Bahalii D. I. [Academic of AS USSR D. I. Bagaliy]. Ukrainskyi istorychnyi zhurnal [The ukr. hist. mag.], 11, 154-158 [in Ukrainian].
12. Skrypnyk P.(1996). D. I. Bahalii [D. I. Bagaliy]. Istorychnyi kalendar-97. [The Historic calendar- 97]. Kyiv, Pamyat stolit, 339-340 [in Ukrainian].
13. Sovetskaya istoriografiya (1996). [Soviet historiography]. Under the red. of U. N. Afanasiev. Moscow, Russian state classical university Press, 558 [in Russian].