Candidate of Historical Sciences, Senior Research Fellow, Leading Research Fellow of the National Historical and Ethnographic Reserve «Pereyaslav».
HISTORIOGRAPHIC STUDIES FROM REGIONAL AND ORNAMENTAL FEATURES OF EASTER EGGS PAINTING
Abstract. The article deals with the national historiography in which problems of regional-ornamental peculiarities of easter eggs painting are highlighted.
The purpose of the proposed research is the analysis of the existing sources related to the historiography of regional ornamental peculiarities of easter eggs painting as a type of decorative and applied art in general. The main task: to find out the current state and degree of study of the problem.
The methodological basis is the general scientific principles and methods of research. Among them - problem-chronological, search, analysis and synthesis, generalizations that allowed to explore this issue and identify works that highlight the topics.
Symbols of Easter eggs, their ornamentation and semantics have attracted the attention of researchers: F. Vovka. M. Sumtsov, M. Kordubi, K. Sherotsky, V. Scherbakovsky, A. Lyashenko for a long time. Historiographical studies of regional peculiarities of easter eggs and ornamentation of certain historical and ethnographic zones and regions are practically absent. Among the authors we can mention works by V. Tkachenko, N. Bendyuk.
Consideration of ethnographic materials from Volyn on the pages of the Canadian edition "Chronicle of Volyn" is devoted to the article by V. Nadolnoy. A. Dmitrenko explores the traditional and everyday culture of this historical and ethnographic region of the second half of the 20th century, including Easter eggs. Regional historiography and sources are covered in works: M. Maslovsky - Zhytomyrshchyna; O. Yanoshchak-Pshibili – Prykarpattya; I. Dmitruk - Hutsulshchyna; O. Kozholyanka – Bukovina; V. Savchuk – Podillya.
O. Khalachanska devoted her research to the symbolism of Easter eggs and its possible use in the lessons of linguistics while working with the works that paid attention to the Poltava Pysanka.
Recently, many works are published in which ornamentation is explored in its various aspects. In particular, N. Lolina from Kyiv examines the development and features of the geometric ornament used in the Easter eggs.
The author of the article about the abstract sign in the geometric ornamentation of the Ukrainian Easter eggs, A. Dubriva analyzes the historical and cultural preconditions of the emergence, formation and development of abstract art.
A. Gotsaliuk tries to reveal the sacred role of the eggs as a protective symbol, its development from paganism and to the present, without neglecting the importance of eggs in the Christian religion. Considering the historiography of Easter eggs painting, A. Gotsalyuk notes that M. Sumtsov "first studied Easter eggs as a folk art ritual, having determined the importance and place of Easter eggs in the culture of Ukraine, paying special attention to the semantics of their ornament".
In the article O. Poyannyk from the "Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University" features peculiarities of preserving the traditions of Easter eggs painting in the education of children of the Ukrainian Carpathians.
Covering the historiography of the problem of ceramic Easter eggs of the XI-XIII centuries. Researcher A. Sushko notes that the greatest attention to such products was paid in the works by T. Makarova and H. Shovkoplyas. Among the researchers of the time of the Independence of Ukraine, who considered ceramic Easter eggs, she gives the names of V. Titiynuk, D. Pozhozhuka, A. Valush and V. Tkachenko.
For the newest historiography a significant increase in different publications, articles, monographs, etc. is characteristic. About that not all works have and bear historiographic works of literature on art-study issues, including ornamentation of pysanka paintings, etc.
Thus, the study considers the historiographic work of scientists on the study of pysanka painting and its ornamental peculiarities. It is noted that the problem of historiographical sources studies of regional pysanka painting and symbolic-semantic significance of motifs is now one of the least developed in the national historical and ethnological and art-studying science. One can confidently say only a few studies that partly claim to historiographic reviews of the study of Easter eggs of Ukraine.
Key words: Easter eggs painting, Easter egg, ornament, region, historiography, art.
Received by the editorial board: 4.04.2019
1. Bendiuk N. (2011). Analiz z istorii doslidzhennia pysankarstva Pivdennoi Volyni ta Ostrozhchyny zokrema [Analysis of the history of the study of Easter eggs of Southern Volynia and Ostrozhany in particular] Istoriia muzeinytstva, pamiatkookhoronnoi spravy, kraieznavstva i turyzmu v Ostrozi ta na Volyni [History of Museumry, Conservation, Local History and Tourism in Ostrog and Volynia], (Vols. 3). P. 306-313 [in Ukrainian].
2. Harbuzova L. (1998). Pysanky Volynskoi hubernii (k. ХIХ – poch. ХХ st.) v zibranni Zhytomyrskoho kraieznavchoho muzeiu [Pysanka of the Volyn Province (beginning of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries) in the collection of the Zhytomyr Museum of Local Lore] Volyn–Zhytomyrshchyna: istoryko-filolohichnyi zbirnyk z rehionalnykh problem / [Red. kolehiia: V. Bilobrovets], [Volyn-Zhytomyr Region: historical and philological collection on regional problems / [Ed. Board: V. Belobrovets]], Zhytomyr, (Kn. 3). P. 93–94 [in Ukrainian].
3. Hatalska N. (1998). Pysankarstvo u systemi tradytsiinoi obriadovosti na Volyni [Easter eggs painting in the system of traditional ritual in Volyn] Ukrainska rodyna: zvychai, tradytsii, obriady: Zbirnyk naukovykh materialiv [Ukrainian family: customs, traditions, ceremonies: Collection of scientific materials], Lutsk. P. 17–20 [in Ukrainian].
4. Hotsaliuk A. (2015). Evoliutsiia symvoliky ukrainskoi pysanky [Evolution of Symbols of the Ukrainian Easter Eggs] Aktualni problemy istorii, teorii ta praktyky khudozhnoi kultury [Current problems of the history, theory and practice of art culture], (Vols. XXXIV). P. 92–99 [inUkrainian].
5. Dmytrenko A. (2003). Materialy do bibliohrafii tradytsiino-pobutovoi kultury Volyni (druha polovyna ХХ st.) [Materials to the Bibliography of the Traditional Household Culture of Volynia (second half of the twentieth century)] Mynule i suchasne Volyni y Polissia: narodna kultura – shliakh do sebe / Materialy Volynskoi oblasnoi naukovo-etnohrafichnoi konferentsii 10-11 kvitnia 2003 roku, m. Lutsk / Zbirnyk naukovykh prats [Past and present Volyn and Polissya: folk culture – the way to itself / Materials of the Volyn Regional Scientific and Ethnographic Conference April 10-11, 2003, Lutsk / Collection of scientific works], Lutsk, (Vols. 11). P. 65–71 [inUkrainian]/
6. Dmytruk I. (2009). Istoriohrafiia ta dzherela do problemy etnohrafichnoho vyvchennia Hutsulshchyny u kintsi ХIХ – na pochatku ХХI stolittia [Historiography and sources to the problem of ethnographic study of Hutsulshchyna at the end of the XIX – early XXI century]Prykarpatskyi visnyk NTSh. Dumka. Istoriia ta etnolohiia [Prykarpattia Bulletin of the NTSh. Opinion. History and Ethnology], 3 (7). P. 176–189 [in Ukrainian].
7. Dubriva A. (2016). Abstraktna znakovist u heometrychnii ornamentytsi ukrainskoi pysanky [Abstract character in the geometric ornamentation of the Ukrainian Easter egg]Mystetstvoznavstvo. Visnyk Natsionalnoi akademii kerivnykh kadriv kultury i mystetstv [Arts studies. Bulletin of the National Academy of Leaders of Culture and Arts], 3. P. 80–84 [inUkrainian].
8. Zarembskyi A. (1928). Narodnoe yskusstvo podolskykh ukrayntsev [Folk art of PodilyaUkrainians], Leningrad [in Russian].
9. Kozholianko O. (2014). Bukovynski velykodni pysanky: istoriia i suchasnist [Bukovina Easter eggs: history and modernity] APSNIM [APSNIM], 2. P. 21–25 [in Ukrainian].
10. Korduba M. (1899). Pysanky na Halytskii Volyni [Pysanka on the Galician Volyn] Materialy do ukrainsko-ruskoi etnolohii [Materials for the Ukrainian-Russian ethnology], Lviv, T. 1. P. 169–210 [in Ukrainian].
11. Lashchuk Yu. (1992). Pochatky muzeinytstva na Volyni [The beginnings of museum-museum in Volyn] Litopys Volyni [Chronicle of Volyn], Winnipeg, Ch. 19-20. P. 177–185 [in Canada].
12. Lolina N. (2015). Tradytsiina ukrainska pysanka: heneza ta osoblyvosti heometrychnoho ornamentu [Traditional Ukrainian Easter egg: genesis and peculiarities of geometric ornament]Visnyk KNUKiM. Seriia «Mystetstvoznavstvo»: zb. nauk. prats [Herald of KNUCiM. Series "Art Studies": Collection sciences works], Kyiv, (Vols. 33). P. 75–83 [in Ukrainian].
13. Liashenko A. (1992). Ukraynskye pysanky [Ukrainian Easter eggs] Candidate’s thesis. Moscow [in Russian].
14. Maslovskaia M. (2016). Materyalnaia kultura Zhytomyrskoho Polesia [Material Culture of Zhytomyr Polesie] Vitsebski kray: materyialyi Mizhnarodnay navukova-praktyichnay konferentsyiyi, pryisvechanay 170-goddzyu z dnya narodzhennya M. Nikifarouskaga, 5 listapada 2015 g., Vitsebsk [Vitsebskie Krai: Materials International Spiritual and Practical Conferentsi, Prysvechana 170th Anniversary of the Birth of M. Nikifarouskaga, November 5, 2015, Vicsebsk], Minsk, (T. 1). P. 195–199 [in Belarus].
15. Matushevska H. (1988). Spohad z Volyni [Recollection from Volynia] Litopys Volyni [Chronicle of Volyn], Winnipeg, Ch. 15. P. 50–55 [in Canada].
16. Nadolna V. (2003). Etnohafichni materialy na storinkakh «Litopysu Volyni» [Ethnographic materials on the pages of the Chronicle of Volynia] Mynule i suchasne Volyni y Polissia: narodna kultura – shliakh do sebe / Materialy Volynskoi oblasnoi naukovo-etnohrafichnoi konferentsii 10-11 kvitnia 2003 roku, m. Lutsk / Zbirnyk naukovykh prats [Past and present Volyn and Polissya: folk culture – the way to oneself / Materials of the Volyn Regional Scientific and Ethnographic Conference April 10-11, 2003, Lutsk / Collection of scientific works], Lutsk, (Vols. 11). P. 63–65 [in Ukrainian].
17. Nikitenko Yu. (2005). Metodolohichni osoblyvosti roboty z ornamentom, yak etnokulturnoiu katehoriieiu [Methodological peculiarities of work with ornament, as ethnocultural category] Naukovi zapysky NaUKMA [Scientific Notes NaUKMA], Kyiv, (T. 40). P. 4–9 [in Ukrainian].
18. Poiasnyk O. (2013). Tradytsii pysankarstva u dukhovnomu vykhovanni uchniv hirskykh shkil[Traditions of Easter eggs in the spiritual education of students of mountain schools] Hirska shkola ukrainskykh Karpat [Mountain School of the Ukrainian Carpathians], 10. P. 159–162 [inUkrainian].
19. Romanenko L. (1990). Navskyi Velykden na Volyni [Navskyi Easter in Volynia] Litopys Volyni[Chronicle of Volyn], Winnipeg, Ch. 5. P. 120–122 [in Canada].
20. Savchuk V. (2010). Narodno-mystetska spadshchyna Podillia u konteksti istoryko-kraieznavchoho rukhu 20-kh – poch. 30-kh rr. ХХ st. [National and artistic heritage of Podillya in the context of the historical and local lore movement of the 20th century – beg. 30's of the twentieth century]Mystetska spadshchyna Podillia u konteksti polikulturnoho yevropeiskoho prostoru: zbirnyk naukovykh prats za rezultatamy Mizhnarodnoho naukovo-praktychnoho seminaru [The artistic heritage of Podillya in the context of a multicultural European space: a collection of scientific works on the results of the International Scientific and Practical Seminar], Kamenets-Podilsky: Kamenets-Podilskyi Ivan Oguyenko National University. P. 6–12 [in Ukrainian].
21. Selivachov M. (2005). Leksykon ukrainskoi ornamentyky (ikonohrafiia, nominatsiia, stylistyka, typolohiia) [Lexicon of Ukrainian ornamentation (iconography, nomination, stylistics, typology)], Kyiv–Nizhyn [in Ukrainian].
22. Solomchenko O. (2004). Pysanky Ukrainskykh Karpat [Pysanka Ukrainian Carpathians], Uzhgorod [in Ukrainian].
23. Sushko A. (2018). Keramichni ihrashky z fondiv Muzeiu istorii mista Kyieva [Ceramic toys from the funds of the Museum of the History of Kyiv] MAHISTERIUM. Arkheolohichni studii[MAGISTERIUM. Archaeological studios], Kyiv, (Vols. 70). P. 87–94 [in Ukrainian].
24. Tkachenko V. (2006). Ukrainske pysankarstvo kintsia ХIХ–ХХ st. [Ukrainian Easter egg of the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries], Kyiv: Milenium [in Ukrainian].
25. Tkachenko V. (2012). Rozvytok ukrainskoho pysankarstva kintsia ХIХ – pochatku ХХI st.: rehionalni osoblyvosti, suchasni transformatsii [Development of the Ukrainian Easter egg of the late XIX – early XXI century: regional features, modern transformations] Candidate’s thesis. Kiev [in Ukrainian].
26. Khalachanska O. (2014). Vid piznannia taiemnychoi movy symvoliv – do movnoi maisternosti [From the knowledge of the mysterious language of symbols – to the language skills] Filolohichni nauky [Philological sciences], 18. P. 105–110 [in Ukrainian].
27. Shcherbakivskyi V. (1925). Osnovni elementy ornamentatsii ukrainskykh pysanok ta yikhnie pokhodzhennia. Studiia [The main elements of the ornamentation of Ukrainian Easter eggs and their origin. Studio], Prague: Edition of the Ukrainian historian-philologist. Society in Prague [inCzech Republic].
28. Yanoshchak-Pshybyla O. (2017). Prykarpatska pysanka [Prykarpattya pysanka] Proektna diialnist – problemy ta perspektyvy: materialy Vseukrainskoi naukovo-praktychnoi konferentsii (m. Ivano-Frankivsk, 5-6 travnia 2017 roku) [Project activity – problems and perspectives: materials of the All-Ukrainian scientific and practical conference (Ivano-Frankivsk, May 5-6, 2017)], Ivano-Frankivsk: Editorial and publishing department of the Ivano-Frankivsk University of Law named after King Danylo Halytskyi. P. 43-47 [in Ukrainian].