Doctor of History, professor, Head of the Department of History and Culture of Ukraine and Special Historical Disciplines Hryhorii Skovoroda University in Pereiaslav
PhD in History, Associate Professor at the Department of History and Culture of Ukraine and special historical disciplines Hryhorii Skovoroda University in Pereiaslav
THEORY AND METHODS OF TEACHING THE BASICS OF
ACADEMIC WRITING IN THE CONTEXT OF THE IMPLEMENTATION
OF THE LATEST EDUCATIONAL INITIATIVES
The article substantiates the expediency of introducing the educational component «The Basics of Academic Writing» in the educational process of higher education institutions of Ukraine in the context of the implementation of the latest educational initiatives and advanced world trends in the development of a civilized society focused on the education of a citizen with a sense of national consciousness and human values.
The author shares his own experience of working on the educational component and analyzes the main reasons and objectives of its implementation in educational programs, considers the basic principles and concepts of the course, its tasks and functions. The author focuses on the main task of «The Basics of Academic Writing» as an educational component, which is designed to form an academic culture in higher education students, to instill practical skills of oral and written language, academic and information literacy, all the necessary skills for writing qualified academic texts.
As part of the teaching of this course, higher education students should develop and practically test the basic principles of critical thinking, which in the future will make them qualified specialists of such a level to be competitive in the market of educational services, able to respond quickly and professionally to the challenges of scientific and technological progress, have a non-standard type of thinking, be able to deepen and systematize the acquired knowledge to solve the tasks, be ready for continuous lifelong self-development and self-improvement.
The author also points to the interdisciplinary direction of «The Basics of Academic Writing» as a course that practices the use of integrated activities, which makes it possible to comprehensively develop the skills of future specialists, in particular, the discussion of the principles of academic integrity and issues related to the eradication of plagiarism, study of educational and special terms, work with texts of different types and styles, development of speech culture, writing essays, abstracts, reports, resumes, motivation letters, annotations, abstracts, important for the implementation of academic mobility of students and their successful participation in grant activities.
Key words: academic integrity, academic literacy; academic culture, higher education institution, information literacy, plagiarism, basics of academic writing.
Received by the editorial board: 19.12.2022
DOWNLOAD FULL TEXT
(2016). Akademichna dobrochesnist ye vazhlyvoiu skladovoiu osvitnoi reformy, Inna Sovsu [Academic integrity is an important component of educational reform]. Ministerstvo osvity i nauky Ukrayiny: [ofits. portal]. Tekst. dani. Kyyiv. Rezhym dostupu: http://mon.gov.ua/usi-novivni/novini/2016/02/24/inna-sovsun-2402201/. Nazva z ekrana.
2. (2016). Akademichna chesnist yak osnova staloho rozvytku universytetu [Academic honesty as the basis of sustainable development of the university] / Mizhnarod. blahod. Fond «Mizhnarod. fond doslidzhen osvitnoi polityky»; za zah. red. T. V. Finikova, A. Ye. Artiukhova. Kyiv: Takson. 234 [in Ukrainian].
3. Bakirov, V. S. Akademichna kultura ukrainskoho studentstva: osnovni chynnyky formuvannia ta rozvytku. Osnovni rezultaty doslidzhennia za proektom [Academic culture of Ukrainian students: main factors of formation and development]. Rezhym dostupu: http://www.univer.kharkov.ua. Nazva z ekrana.
4. Vykhrushch, A.V. (2021). Akademichne pysmo: Struktura i zavdannia [Academic writing: Structure and tasks]. Medychna osvita [Medical education], 1, 112-116 [in Ukrainian].
5. (2004). Vyshcha osvita i Bolonskyi protsess: Navchalnyi posibnyk [Higher education and the Bologna process: Study guide] / Za red. V.H. Kremenia. Kyiv: Osvita, 319 [in Ukrainian].
6. Hinzburh, M. (2008). Syntaksychni konstruktsii u fakhovykh tekstakh: praktychni vysnovky z rekomendatsii movoznavtsiv [Syntactic constructions in professional texts: practical conclusions from the recommendations of linguists] Visnyk: Problemy ukrainskoi terminolohii [Bulletin: Problems of Ukrainian terminology]. Lviv: Vyd-vo Natsionalnoho universytetu «Lvivska politekhnika», 620, 26 – 32 [in Ukrainian].
7. Kremenovska, I. V. (2015). Plahiat u naukovykh publikatsiiakh: metody vyiavlennia ta vykorinennia [Plagiarism in scientific publications: methods of detection and eradication]. Nauka Ukrainy u svitovomu informatsiinomu prostori [Science of Ukraine in the global information space]. 11, 60 – 66 [in Ukrainian].
8. Lopatina, V. (2017). Pysmovi zavdannia v universytetakh Ukrainy ta SShA: pohliad akademichnoho raitera [Writing tasks in universities of Ukraine and the USA: the view of an academic writer]. Spilne [Common]. 24 kvitnia [in Ukrainian].
9. Martyniuk, O. M. (2021). Akademichne pysmo (konspekt lektsii): navchalno-metodychne vydannia [Academic writing (lecture notes): educational and methodical edition]. Lutsk: Vezha, 48 [in Ukrainian].
10. Nepyivoda, N. F. (1998). Sam sobi redaktor: Poradnyk z ukrainskoi movy [Self-editor: Advisor on the Ukrainian language]. Kyiv: Ukrainska knyha, 240 [in Ukrainian].
11. Revutska S. K. (2018). Kurs lektsii z dystsypliny «Akademichne pysmo» [Course of lectures on the discipline «Academic writing»] / M-vo osvity i nauky Ukrainy, Donets. nats. un-t ekonomiky i torhivli im. M. Tuhan-Baranovskoho, kaf. ukrainoznavstva; uklad. S.K. Revutska. Kryvyi Rih: DonNUET, 81 [in Ukrainian].
12. Ryzhko O. (2016). Poniattia, vydy, klasyfikatsii plahiatu [Concepts, types, classifications of plagiarism]. Zapysky Lvivskoi natsionalnoi naukovoi biblioteky Ukrainy imeni V. Stefanyka [Notes of the Lviv National Scientific Library of Ukraine named after V. Stefanyk], 8. 134 – 150 [in Ukrainian].
13. Tymoshenko, T. V. (2009). Akademichne pysmo [Academic writing]. Naukovi zapysky [Scientific notes]: zbirnyk naukovykh prats. Kirovohrad: KNTU, 9. 214-219 [in Ukrainian].
14. Finikov, T. (2016). Akademichna dobrochesnist: hlobalnyi kontekst ta natsionalna potreba [Academic Integrity: Global Context and National Need]. Akademichna chesnist yak osnova staloho rozvytku universytetu [Academic honesty as the basis of sustainable development of the university]. Kyiv: Takson, 9 - 36 [in Ukrainian].
15. Khoruzhyi, H. F. (2012). Akademichna kultura: tsinnosti ta pryntsypy vyshchoi osvity [Academic culture: values and principles of higher education]. Ternopil: Navchalna knyha. Bohdan, 320 [in Ukrainian].
16. Shlikhta, N., Shlikhta, I. (2016). Osnovy akademichnoho pysma: Metodychni rekomendatsii ta prohrama kursu [Basics of academic writing: Methodological recommendations and course program]. Kyiv, 61 [in Ukrainian].
17. Fentsyk, O. M. (2020). Formuvannia akademichnoi hramotnosti zdobuvachiv vyshchoi osvity u protsesi fakhovoi pidhotovky [Formation of academic literacy of students of higher education in the process of professional training]. Pedahohika formuvannia tvorchoi osobystosti u vyshchii i zahalnoosvitnii shkolakh [Pedagogy of creative personality formation in higher and secondary schools]. 73, 2, 226-231 [in Ukrainian].